The Academic Project Manager (APM) oversees the planning, implementation, and assessment of approved projects for the Classical Conversations Academic team, following best practices of project management, in support of the company’s overall mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s or four-year degree or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of experience managing projects
- Can travel 2-4 weeks per year
- Must demonstrate the ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks according to communicated schedules and deadlines
- Strong time management skills, and proven problem solving and decision-making skills
- Must be able to communicate well with different levels of management with a variety of personality types
- Can engage in web-based communications
- Has regular access to high-speed Internet connectivity
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, project management tools, and messaging tools
- Proven oral and written communication skills
- Able to listen well and identify process improvements based on feedback from team members and senior management
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to meet project deadlines and communicate to all team members who are involved in projects
- Demonstrated technical aptitude; learns new programs and software quickly and independently
- Proven conflict resolution skills
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to manage change
Lead teams of people who are involved with the project, coordinating resources and communication across multiple departments.
- Project Management: For assigned projects within the Academic team, the project manager defines the scope with the business owner; creates a detailed work plan; determines the resources (time, money, equipment, etc.) required to complete the project; develops a schedule; ensures that the project is documented according to established templates and processes; ensures that the project is delivered on time, within budget, and at the required level of quality. The Academic PM also works closely with the CCMM project management team to ensure smooth transitions between projects. Assists the academic team as needed with meetings, and scheduling.
- Accountability: Posts daily Slack updates. Attends weekly online meetings and monthly meetings with manager. Completes scorecard monthly, discusses scorecard with Academic Manager quarterly.
- Stewardship: Notifies Academic Manager of unexpected expenses that may affect budgets. Reviews job description annually with Academic Manager. Monitors team workload and identifies gaps that may need to be filled. Conducts first-round interviews for new hires and proposes final hiring decisions.
- Continued Learning: Is available to attend biannual meetings with academic manager and completes Personal Learning Plan yearly.
- Communication: Communicates out to Academic Manager with status updates, questions, and blockers. Communicates in to academic team members with timely suggestions. Communicates across to other project managers and CC Inc. leaders about issues arising from team’s activities. Escalates issues to Academic Manager as needed and communicates decisions back to team.
- Reporting: Outlines monthly reports needed from team and coordinates with Academic Asset Librarian and LMS Admin to gather that information. Reviews and identifies trends to report to Academic Manager monthly.
- Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time, up to eight hours per day, with breaks
- Communicating over the Internet and via phone
- Travel 2-4 weeks per year
This role is remote within North Carolina or Texas.
Part Time: Up to 29 hours per week.