The Production Manager leads a team in creating print and digital resources designed to support community and curriculum development. This team works closely with content development to ensure that messages to parents and licensed directors are consistent and clear, helping families understand and implement classical, Christian education at home. The Production Manager has a solid working knowledge of the publishing industry and stays abreast of current trends to ensure that Classical Conversations MultiMedia (CCMM) products are high quality and economical for families. The Production Manager studies sales data and product feedback to provide consistent, clear reports and recommendations to the VP of CCMM.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable training in research, communication skills, leadership, and problem-solving.
- Minimum of 2 years in a management-level position.
- At least 3 years of experience in print and digital publishing.
- Passionate about helping families give their children a classical, Christian education at home.
- Dedicated to helping team members grow as individuals and as employees.
- Travel 4-6 weeks per year.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to lead a remote team.
- Ability to engage in web-based communications.
- Knowledge about print production processes (preparing files for press, communicating with prepress).
- Knowledge about digital production methods and platforms (audio, video, apps, e-books).
- Some knowledge of project management best practices.
- Some familiarity with copyright law.
- Understanding of Classical Conversations’ mission, vision, and academic programs.
- Ability to analyze data, recognize trends, and develop recommendations based on them.
- Excellent verbal and written communication along with strong in-person and online presentation skills.
- Ability to learn new technologies to aid in remote communication.
- Ability to manage projects, serve people, and steward communications with timeliness and wisdom.
- 5-6 full-time employees
- 1-2 part-time employees
- Production: Leads team of designers and editors to turn completed content into printer-ready books, study guides, and other educational materials, producing 6-12 new publications annually and revising 4-6 existing publications. Sets and holds team accountable to best practices and high standards of quality.
- Coaching: Checks in with all team members daily with Slack reminders. Refocuses team members on priorities as needed. Hosts weekly online meetings for all team members.
- Accountability: Reviews all department’s scorecards monthly, discusses scorecards with team members quarterly, and with VP biannually.
- Stewardship: Sets priorities with VP for the production team, and then tracks and monitors budget for the team. Notifies VP of unexpected expenses that may affect budget. Discusses budget with team members quarterly, and with VP biannually. Reviews team job descriptions annually with VP. Monitors team workload and identifies gaps that may need to be filled. Conducts first-round interviews for new hires and proposes final hiring decisions.
- Continued Learning: Hosts biannual on-site meetings for the full team to practice needed skills and reflect and prepare for the next season. Attends annual meetings with VP. Helps team complete Personal Learning Plans and reviews progress on a regular basis. Stays abreast of trends in print and digital publishing through conferences, trade publications, and professional relationships.
- Communication: Communicates out to VP with status updates, questions, and blockers. Communicates in to team members with timely suggestions and coaching. Communicates across to other managers about issues arising from the team’s activities. Escalates issues to VP as needed and communicates decisions back to team.
- Reporting: Outlines monthly reports needed from team and coordinates with group leads to gather that information. Reviews and identifies trends to report to VP monthly.
- Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time, up to eight hours per day, with breaks.
- Communicating over the Internet and via phone